Square Rings Overview
A Square-Ring is a sealing device made in the form of a torus (round top view), with a square shaped cross-section (side view).
Other names for Square-Rings would be Washer Rings, Lathe-Cut Rings, TetraSeal©
The primary reason for using a Square-ring in a sealing application is that they perform the sealing function in a superior manner – and at a cost lower than any other comparable sealing device. For existing applications, there is no need to change the design or procedures. Square-rings fit in O-ring grooves and are interchangeable size for size.
Square rings are available in a variety of rubber and plastic materials such as Buna, Viton, EPDM, Teflon, etc. In most static applications, a square ring will serve as a direct replacement for an O-ring and generally will perform a high pressure sealing function as well as or better than an O-ring.
Square Ring Sizes
We primarily stock American Standard (AS568) sizes of square rings in Nitrile and Viton. We can also supply square rings to metric dimensions.
Standard square rings have the same I.D. as the AS568 sizes. However, the Cross Section dimension is slightly smaller for square rings. The chart above shows the square ring cross sections for the American Standard series sizes.
Square Ring Cross Sections
|Serie||Pulgadas C / S||C / S mm|
Features of Square Rings:
- Interchangeable with O-rings size for size (Standard AS568A sizes)
- Uses same groove as O-ring
- Can be used for radial seals
- Material is homogenous, no joints, no laminations
- Edges accurately formed
- Extreme close tolerances held on cross-section, I.D. and O.D.
- Controlled surface smoothness, hardness, elasticity, toxicity, texture
- The modern, economical option for static applications
- Available in many compounds