Square Rings Overview
A Square Ring is a sealing device made in the form of a torus (round top view), with a square-shaped cross-section (side view).
Other names for Square Rings are Washer Rings, Lathe-Cut Rings, and TetraSeal©.
The primary reason for using a Square Ring in a sealing application is that they provide more sealing surface area – and at a cost that is comparable to other sealing device. For existing applications, there is no need to change the design or procedures. Square Rings fit in o-ring grooves and are interchangeable size-for-size.
Square Rings are available in a variety of rubber and plastic materials such as NBR, Viton, EPDM, Teflon, etc. In most static applications, a Square Ring will serve as a direct replacement for an o-ring and generally will perform a high-pressure sealing function as well as or better than an o-ring.
For more information or to request a quote on Square Rings, please give us a call at 832-448-5550 or submit the Product Inquiry Form.
Square Ring Sizes
We primarily stock American Standard (AS568) sizes of square rings in Nitrile and Viton®. We can also supply Square Rings to metric dimensions.
Standard Square Rings have the same Inside Diameter as the AS568 sizes. However, the Cross-Section dimension is slightly smaller for Square Rings. The chart above shows the Square Ring cross-sections for the American Standard series sizes.
Square Ring Cross-Sections
|Series||C/S Inches||C/S mm|
Features of Square Rings:
- Interchangeable with o-rings size for size (Standard AS568A sizes)
- Uses the same groove as an o-ring
- Can be used for radial seals
- Material is homogenous with no joints or laminations
- Edges accurately formed
- Extreme close tolerances held on cross-section, ID, and OD
- Controlled surface smoothness, hardness, elasticity, toxicity, texture
- The modern, economical option for static applications
- Available in many compounds