KEVN® O-Ring Rubber Identification Tool
The KEVN® is a practical and useful tool to distinguish between four (4) commonly used o-ring rubber compounds:
- Kalrez® – Perfluoroelastomer (FFKM)
- EPDM – Ethylene Propylene Rubber (EPR)
- Viton® – Fluorocarbon (FPM, FKM)
- Nitrile – Nitrile Rubber (Buna-N)
The KEVN® is a registered trademark of Global O-Ring and Seal, LLC. All rights reserved.
How It Works & How to Use It
- Place the o-ring on a stable table or surface. Hold the KEVN® in a vertical position so that the straight edge of the sliding weight hangs out the bottom of the steel tube.
- Position the straight edge of the weight on the o-ring’s cross-section and raise the weight all the way to the top of the tube (as far as it will go).
- Release the weight and let it drop onto the o-ring. The weight will bounce. The height of the first bounce will rise to one of the four calibrated ranges.
Where and When to Use
- To verify and o-ring just before installing the o-ring in the equipment.
- To differentiate between KNOWN o-ring materials.
- To check for mislabeled o-rings.
- To verify new o-rings.
- Sorting applications.
Best Conditions For Use
The KEVN® is calibrated to work best with the following:
- 70 durometer o-rings
- New and unused o-rings
- O-rings within their rated shelf life
- Cross-sections starting with .103” (2.62mm) up to .275” (6.99mm), including the standard AS568 series (100, 200, 300, & 400 series).
Do Not Use For:
- Identifying or analyzing failed or damaged o-rings
- O-rings of unknown composition
- Out-of-date o-rings
- O-ring cross-sections less than .103″ (2.62mm), or greater than .275″ (6.99mm)
- Identifying composition of flat gasket surfaces
- O-rings other than 70 durometer
DISCLAIMER: The use of rubber elastomer names such as Kalrez® & Viton® (which are trademarks of DuPont Dow Elastomers) are for reference only, and does not guarantee that the materials tested with this tool are of these name brands.